Re: LIKE/ESCAPE implementation

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LIKE/ESCAPE implementation
Date: 2000-08-06 04:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers
At 10:45 PM 8/5/2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > > What is ILIKE? afaik it is not in SQL9x, so is there any reason to have
> > > that rather than the full regular expression case-insensitive operator
> > > ("~*") we already have?
> > Just that a lot of people have asked for it, over and over again ...
> > see the archives ...
>
>I had thought it would be trivial to do ILIKE, but now I'm not sure how
>to handle the multi-byte case. It isn't sufficient to wrap the
>single-byte comparison arguments with tolower() is it??
>
>btw, do the archives have a full discussion of the correct syntax for
>this? I recall people asking for it, but since it is a non-standard
>feature what implementation example should I follow? What alternatives
>are there? Is "check the archives" sufficient to produce a complete
>design discussion? What thread??

I don't know... As far as syntax would go, I would follow the existing LIKE
operator, doing a case insensitive operation.

-
- Thomas Swan
- Graduate Student  - Computer Science
- The University of Mississippi
-
- "People can be categorized into two fundamental
- groups, those that divide people into two groups
- and those that don't."