Re: pg_dump & performance degradation

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump & performance degradation
Date: 2000-08-01 06:49:44
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
My $.02 ...
  :)

Anyway, the command line option makes the most sense.    An arbitrary or
relative sleep timer specified as an option is an ideal way to go about
it.  I really liked the
pg_dump -T {pick a number, any number} idea.   maybe a -d  for delay or
something...

Note:  A command line option is not too difficult for someone to use.  (I
saw someone mention this.)   If you're using a GUI and rely on it... get
someone to add a check box for the option.   Otherwise if your actually
using a command-line utility, you've got the hardest part licked...  (It's
a nice FAQ item, why is my db so slow when doing a backup? ... how can I
fix this? ...)

This seems a little rhetorical in some respects... I would want a backup or
dump of the DB to hit as quickly as possible... (scheduled for a low load
time).  But if, hypothetically, the load is constant, then a more relaxed
backup might be in order...

All in all, hard coding in the delay, would aggravate me and quite a few
others; can't you hear it, "Why the *#!##(at)$ is this taking so long?"

-
- Thomas Swan
- Graduate Student  - Computer Science
- The University of Mississippi
-
- "People can be categorized into two fundamental
- groups, those that divide people into two groups
- and those that don't."