Re: Interface Question

From: Charles Tassell <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>
To: kurt_miller(at)sfgh(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interface Question
Date: 2000-06-29 01:44:37
Lists: pgsql-general
All of the different interfaces have there own way of specifying the host
to connect to (eg, with pgsql it's "pgsql -h hostname databasename")  You
also have to setup the pg_hba.conf file in your PGDATA directory
(/usr/local/pgsql/data on my machine) to allow access from the remote
machine.  Usually adding this line will do the trick:

host         all        REMOTE.IP.ADDR.ESS       255.255.255.255
crypt

You will have to specify a username/password to connect from that machine,
however (use the -u option of pgsql, ie: pgsql -u -h remote.ip.addr.ess
dbname.)  If you don't care quite so much about security, you can use
"trust" or "ident" instead of crypt.  The pg_hba.conf man page and the file
itself provides good documentation.