Finding the names of inheriting classes

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Finding the names of inheriting classes
Date: 2000-06-28 18:50:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

This is actually two problems...

I'm at a loss on how identify or get the names of children of a parent class.

For example, I have three children of a parent class Cities : Big_Cities,
Little_Cities, Not_Cities. I know that I can do a select * from Cities*
and get all rows from Cities and Cities' children.

For the first question, is there a way I can get the names of the tables
(classes) that inherit from a parent class?
For example, getting the names of the tables
"Big_Cities","Little_Cities",and "Not_Cities" from a statement asking what
are the children of tables (class) Cities.

The second question revolves around the select * from Cities*.

If Cities has a "name" column and Big_Cities has a "population" column
added and I do a select * from Cities* the resulting table only has the
"name" column. Is there a way to get a table that has all the columns (not
just the ones in common) and put nulls in the columns for which there is no
information or data?
-
- Thomas Swan
- Graduate Student - Computer Science
- The University of Mississippi
-
- "People can be sorted into two fundamental groups,
- those that divide people into two groups and
- those that don't."