Re: Continuous inserts...

From: Joerg Hessdoerfer <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Continuous inserts...
Date: 2000-08-22 07:44:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi!

At 08:18 18.08.00 -0700, you wrote:
[...]

>I didn't try with vacuum, I just did a table lock and that
>seemed to still hang the inserts with two tables, so I figured
>maximum safety was adding the third table. If it works with two
>that's much cooler. Was this with real data or just a small test
>set?

It was a test set ... ~20000 records, *BUT* I found that postgres
decides when it starts to use the rule - means, if you do continous
inserts on the table and create the rule, there's a varying time until
the rule applies. In my first tests, I re-connected the DB very often,
and the the change seemed immediate.

Any ideas on how to 'promote' the rules faster?!?

Greetings,
Joe
--
+------**** Science & Engineering Applications GmbH ****------+