Re: internationalization (message

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga(at)snaga(dot)org>
To: jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: internationalization (message
Date: 2002-06-20 15:44:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
>We tried hard to display Japanese characters in pgAdmin2, without success
>because VB does not support UTF-8 characters. If we cannot display Japanese
>characters, we are not going to be able to translate messages.

Is a UTF-8 support necessary to display translated messages
in single language (like French, or Japanese)?

I know UTF-8 can handle and display several language charactorsets
all at once, but I don't need it.

I need just switching languages of all messages in display.

I think it can be implemented as a message lookup mechanism.

In the GNU gettext mechanism, gettext() function looks up
a message catalog file (it is external resource file),
and if a translated message is found,
gettext() function returns a translated string.

For example, gettext("Hello") returns "Konnichiwa"
as Japanese charactor string, so

| printf( gettext("Hello") );

prints

| Konnichiwa

in Japanese environment.

This can be implemented under VB?

--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <snaga(at)snaga(dot)org>