PL/pgSQL

From: Stephan Richter <srichter(at)cbu(dot)edu>
To: PGSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PL/pgSQL
Date: 2000-08-30 07:40:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everyone,

I am using PostgreSQL already for quiet a while and now I want to extend my
knowledge and make better use of PostgreSQL itself.

Here is a selection of the issues I try to solve:

- If I delete a record, I want to delete all its references. -- Is it right
that I have to use a function and a trigger; but how?
- I want to make sure an entry does not exist in the table, before adding a
new entry.
- When adding an entry generate another table's entry using some default
information.
- Automatically delete entries that are old.
- Update entries based on other tables' information.

I think all of these problems are not possible to solve with regular
SELECT, UPDATE and DELETE statements. So I guess what I am asking is, where
do I find some documentation on triggers and functions for PostgreSQL
7.0.2? Could you send me some sample code?

Thanks very much in advance for your time.

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter