Re: Troubles at Startup

From: "Chad R(dot) Larson" <clarson(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: Hugh Esco <hesco(at)greens(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Troubles at Startup
Date: 2002-11-19 22:10:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
At 12:07 PM 11/13/02 , Hugh Esco wrote:
>Although /etc/init.d/postgresql script is listed in each run level startup
>script at /etc/rc#.d, for some reason completely beyond me, postmaster
>must be manually started each time I boot up.  Any help getting the
>database server to automatically start at boot up would be appreciated.

The problem we had turned out to have nothing to do with the startup, it
was the shutdown.   If you have a crash or other hurried shutdown,
sometimes the ${PGDATA}/postmaster.pid file doesn't get removed.  Then the
startup will fail.  Check you're getting clean shutdowns of the
postmaster.  You could also check to see if the PID in the postmaster pid
file actually exists by using a "kill 0 <pid>" in the startup script.

         -crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)    chad(at)eldocomp(dot)com
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100