Re: PostgreSQL->JDBC->Tomcat->Apache resource uses

From: "Chad R(dot) Larson" <clarson(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>, "Psql-Jdbc" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL->JDBC->Tomcat->Apache resource uses
Date: 2001-11-13 21:41:15
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-jdbc

At 02:55 PM 11/13/01 -0500, Nick Fankhauser wrote:
>And finally, if anyone else is running PostgreSQL->JDBC->Tomcat->Apache,
>I'm curious about your hardware configuration & experiences with it. Any
>mistakes that you can help me avoid?

We're doing exactly the same thing, except substitute Macromedia's JRun for
Tomcat. The Apache web server is running on its own box, for security's sake.
I believe any machine exposed to the great unwashed Internet ought to be
considered potentially compromised and hostile. It's in it's own
firewalled DMZ.

The web server is an Intel Pentium ATX motherboard in a 1U chassis running
FreeBSD 4.3. The Apache was built to include mod_ssl to support secure
connections. The JRun and PostgreSQL are running on a 4 CPU Sun E3500
under Solaris 2.6.

We had issues with Tomcat when we evaluated it, hence the JRun. Tomcat may
be fixed by now, and we may revisit that issue when the JRun license is up
for renewal. I also see no reason other than management skittishness that
we couldn't run the backend on something like a 4 CPU 800MHz Xeon Dell
server and FreeBSD. We've had fewer problems with the FreeBSD than with
Solaris.

-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22) chad(at)eldocomp(dot)com
Eldorado Computing, Inc. 602-604-3100