Re: pg 7.1 b5 appears to require a "modern version of tcl"

From: Jerry Asher <jerry(at)hollyjerry(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg 7.1 b5 appears to require a "modern version of tcl"
Date: 2001-03-02 20:26:48
Lists: pgsql-docs

At 11:09 AM 3/2/01 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>Jerry Asher <jerry(at)hollyjerry(dot)org> writes:
> > I installed it --with-tcl but it failed. RedHat 6.1 comes with Tcl
> > 8.0.3 and certain Tcl symbols were not installed. When I upgraded to
> > Tcl 8.3, the link succeeded,
>
>Details please? I normally test against tcl 8.0.5, so I know we do not
>need 8.3. It's fairly hard to believe that we must have 8.0.5 and not
>8.0.3 ... in fact, I thought we still worked with tcl 7.*.
>
> regards, tom lane

Tom, I have to apologize profusely. How often do I submit a bug report that actually contains useful information on the bug, never to hear from anyone. And now, I submit a bug report that is less than useful and someone actually cares.

But I am ashamed to say, that it would be almost impossible for me to replicate this as I'd have to remove the new Tcl, install the old Tcl and try again, and well, I unfortunately just don't have the time.

Basically it looked like they were symbols involved in initialization of the Tcl Main, but more, I cannot say.

Abashed,

Jerry
Jerry Asher jerry(at)hollyjerry(dot)org
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161 Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709 Fax: (877) 311-8688