Re: Serious performance problem

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA(at)rki(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Serious performance problem
Date: 2001-10-29 19:10:32
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello Andreas,

A possible solution would be:
CREATE TABLE foo AS
SELECT Hauptdaten_Fall.MeldeKategorie, Count(Hauptdaten_Fall.ID) AS Anz
FROM Hauptdaten_Fall WHERE (((Hauptdaten_Fall.IstAktuell)=20))
GROUP BY Hauptdaten_Fall.MeldeKategorie ORDER BY
Hauptdaten_Fall.MeldeKategorie;

This is suitable if your data does not change often. To get automatic updates:
1) Define iPrecision, the precision that you need (integer).
2) Create a trigger which increases a counter when a record is updated or
inserted. When the counter reaches iPrecision, do a DROP TABLE foo + CREATE
TABLE foo AS SELECT Hauptdaten_Fall.MeldeKategorie,
Count(Hauptdaten_Fall.ID)... This will take a few seconds but only once.
Run a batch script within a time frame (1 hour, 4 hours, 1 day ?) so a
human user has very little chance to reach iPrecision.

On 300.000 records, you will get instant results. There are plenty of
tricks like this one. If you employ them, you will ***never*** reach the
limits of a double Pentium III computer with U3W discs.

If you need to answer this message, please reply on
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE