Re: UNICODE

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNICODE
Date: 2001-10-28 13:34:49
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

>psql uses your input literally - so is your console/xterm in
>UNICODE/UTF8?
Client: \encoding returns 'UNICODE'.
Server: \list show databases. All databases are UNICODE (except TEMPLATE0
and TEMPLATE1 which are ASCII of course). I use a Mandrake 8.1 distribution
and think my console is UNICODE.

> > As for me, I typed INSERT INTO source_content VALUES ('Permis de conduire
> > accepté') in Psql.
>As I said - psql does not do any conversion.
The faulty query is: INSERT INTO test (source_content) VALUES ('Permis de
conduire accepté');

I just can't believe that Psql is not UTF-8 compatible. It seems unreal as
Psql is PostgreSQL #1 helper application. Should I use PostgreSQL MULE
encoding to have automatic trans coding. What are the guidelines, I am
completely lost.

> > Psql does not insert the data and I have to kill it manually. Can you
> > reproduce this?
>No. If it hangs this is serious problem. Or did you simply
>forgot final ';' ? It btw does not seem valid sql to me,
>considering you previously provided table structure.
Is it possible that my database is corrupted? I have used pg_dump several
times to dump data from production server to development servers and
conversely. Does pg_dump produce UTF8 output? What are the guidelines when
using UTF-8: forget psql and pg_dump?

>In the end: are the strings/queries you give to psql/pg_exec
>UTF-8 - this is now main thing, as you have _configured_
>everything correctly.
Everything is configured correctly server-side (PostgreSQL, Psql).

Thank you very much for your support Marko,
Best regards,
Jean-Michel