Re: [HACKERS] Package support for Postgres

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Package support for Postgres
Date: 2001-10-13 08:11:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgsql-hackers
>What do folks think?
>Take care,
>Bill

Hello Bill,

The community have been waiting for packages for a long time. I don't
believe you did it!!!

IMHO most applications do not fully benefit from the power of PostgreSQL
because transactions are performed at application lever
(PHP/asp/Java/Application server). Sometimes, libraries are mapped to
database structure, which is nonsense when a simple view with left joins
can solve a problem.

Most applications should be developed/ported at PostgreSQL level using the
full range of available tools (transactions, triggers, views, foreign keys,
rules and off course PL/pgSQL). This is much easier and powerful. Then, all
you need is to display information using a good object-oriented language
(Java/PHP).

With the help of packages, a lot of developers will probably release GPL
libraries and PostgreSQL will become the #1 database in the world.

At pgAdmin team, we were thinking of developing packages at client level.
This is nonsense when reading your paper. The ability of defining context
levels is a great feature. Question: how do you map package to PostgreSQL
objects (tables, views, triggers)? Is there any possibility of defining
templates? Can this be added to packages in the future with little impact
on PostgreSQL internals?

Now, we can only thank you for bringing Packages to PostgreSQL.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE
pgAdmin Team

Next:From: mlwDate: 2001-10-13 14:10:07