Re: pgAdmin

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "John Lathrop" <jpl(at)attglobal(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin
Date: 2001-10-04 08:41:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
>Hello!
>I'm a Linux writer, and have included pgAdmin in my second Linux book, about
>to come out.  Can you tell me if the last version of 'pgAdmin I' --for want
>of a better term-- is still available?
>Thanks!
>John Lathrop
>JPL(at)attglobal(dot)net

Hello John,

Thank you for your interest in pgAdmin.

There are in fact three different releases:
- pgAdmin I stable release,
- pgAdmin I CVS version,
- pgAdmin II.

pgAdmin I CVS version is still available from
http://cvs.social-housing.org/viewcvs.cgi/. There is no installer for
pgAdmin I CVS version and there probably never be one.

pgAdmin I CVS version differs from pgAdmin I stable release as it enables
pseudo editing of functions, triggers and views. Source code of functions,
triggers and views is stored in separate tables called 'development
tables'. This helps manage large server-side PL/pgSQL projects. Functions,
triggers and views can be compiled (=published) in dependency order (a
dependency table is built). In large projects (example: 100 functions, 100
tables, 20 triggers) it is impossible for a 'normal' human to keep track of
cross-dependencies between objects without pgAdmin I CVS version.

All this might be a little confusing for your readers. They will probably
not install pgAdmin I CVS version easily. Furthermore, pgAdmin I is not
compatible with PostgreSQL 7.2 internals.

We are now moving into pgAdmin II, which is the sole work of Dave and Mark.
There are discussions to port the development features of pgAdmin I to
pgAdmin II. pgAdmin II will also enable pseudo edition of tables. It will
be bundled with a Cygwin PostgreSQL installer wizard for complete
installation under Windows.

Therefore, I strongly recommend you only gave details about pgAdmin II.
Do not hesitate to contact us for more information.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

pgadmin-hackers by date