Table modification

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Table modification
Date: 2001-10-02 08:41:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
>Ahh, yes, I see what you mean. I'm not sure about the best way to fix that -
>it won't be fixed in pgAdmin anyway as that version is not being updated
>anymore - The new one doesn't use any views or functions.
>
>I'll write a notice about the problem and how to get round it and post it to
>whereever I can.
>
>Regards, Dave.

OK, I am going to have a close look at pgAdmin II to port the development
features of pgAdmin I.

Dave, could we please again discuss about the table modification feature?
I understand we have three alternatives:

1) Implement table rebuilding in frmTable at pgAdmin II level
Easy way, but pgSchema users will not benefit from it.
Can be done easily and quickly.

2) Implement partial table rebuilding at pgSchema level
frmTable would just have to
svr.Databases(ctx.CurrentDB).Tables(objTable.Identifier).Columns.Remove($COL
NAME). pgSchema would handle the rest. The problem is that we might need a
CREATE TABLE AS for each item we
remove in a table (column, foreign key, etc..). This works for small
tables, not the large ones I have.

3) Implement table rebuilding at pgSchema level
Implement table rebuilding at pgSchema level within one transaction for all
elements (columns, foreign keys, etc...)? frmTable would have to
svr.Databases(ctx.CurrentDB).Tables(objTable.Identifier).Modify (.......).
Any ideas about how to implement it?

Do I miss something? Dave, I need your help to understand things fully.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2001-10-02 09:06:57