Re: [HACKERS] UTF-8 support

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] UTF-8 support
Date: 2001-09-24 08:53:31
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-odbc
Hello Tatsuo & all,

First of all, I would like to thank all the ODBC team for their work.
I have been using various databases quite extensively and PostgreSQL ranks
among the best for ODBC support.

>Try:
>INSERT INTO TABLE table_name VALUES (column-name) VALUES ( ' \101' );
>I don't know why the docs claim so, '\OCTAL_NUMBER' seems to work
>anyway.BTW, 'A' is not 041 in octal, it is 101.

Would it be possible to use the hexadecimal \u000 notation in 7.2? Is there
a built-in function to convert hexadecimal into octal?
This would be an interesting feature as it seems to be a standard notation
for UNICODE values (http://www.unicode.org/charts/).
Also, Java has the ability to display UNICODE using \u000 notation. I think
it is the same with PHP although I am not sure.

> > 2) Japanese coding
> > Do you recommend EUC_JP or UNICODE for storing Japanese text in PostgreSQL?
> > This is for use in PHP (both for input and display, no recode needed).
>
>If you are going to use Japanese only, EUC_JP will take less storage
>space. So, in general EUC_JP is recommended.

Are some Japanese fonts designed to work only for EUC-JP or UNICODE?
Can all Japanese fonts be mapped from EUC-JP to UNICODE and conversly?

> > Can you show me more concrete examples showing what you actually want
> to do?
Yes, I am very interested in testing double-byte display in pgAdmin II.
pgAdmin I and II are developed in Visual Basic which supports double-byte
Unicode forms since SP4.

How about ODBC double-byte support?
Is any translation performed between back-end and front-end?
Are there special ODBC settings to display Japanese?
Are there limitations due to Windows (95/98/NT)?
I heard 95 Japanese support was catastrophic.

Presently, I have to store Japanese text in PostgreSQL 7.1 with PHP.
I will do my best to display Japanese text in pgAdmin II.

Greetings from Paris,
Jean-Michel POURE