Re: Feedback on pgAdmin II

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feedback on pgAdmin II
Date: 2001-09-02 07:42:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

>You didn't build/compile it yourself did you? PostgreSQL ships prebuilt with
>Cygwin these days - it took me about 10 minutes to get going with 7.1.3 the
>other day. If you run the Cygwin setup program, make sure you select
>PostgreSQL as an app to install. Then just follow the instructions in
>/usr/doc/postgresql-7.1.3/README

As a newbee, I had to:
- download and install cygwin (Postgresql executables included),
- read the cygwin list,
- create a postgres user and log on it (otherwise, you have to use ssh),
- install the IPC daemon as a service,
- run initdb,
- install postmaster as a service.

This takes 4 hours when no access to the README.
I agree it takes less time with the README.

The large audience of Windows users need a proper installer.
Or they are not going to make it at all...

Later, /JMP