Tool Search

From: Naomi Walker <nwalker(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tool Search
Date: 2001-08-19 23:09:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We're about to start up Postgresql in production, and I am looking for a
few tools, so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

I'm looking for tools that:

1) Grep through log files, looking for particulary nasty items, that
should get sent to me in email or to a cell phone. I noticed you can use
the syslog daemon, which would be great for sorting. Anyone have a sort list?

2) Probably, we'll use Bib Brother or Whats Up Gold to monitor system
resources, like cpu, memory, and disk space. Anyone have suggestions?

3) Interesting tools any self-respecting DBA should have, that looks for
particular "quirks" in Postgresql. For example, in Informix, we were
always checking fragmentation and space issues.

Naomi Walker
Chief Information Officer
Eldorado Computing, Inc.
602-604-3100