Using WinNT binaries: username problems

From: Joe Clark <joeclark(at)iastate(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using WinNT binaries: username problems
Date: 2000-11-09 06:07:50
Lists: pgsql-ports
Hi there.  I spent most of my evening trying to create running WinNT
binaries for PostgreSQL.  I downloaded the source and compiled it (after
getting all the necessary supporting libraries and such in the right
spots), and I downloaded some precompiled binaries I found later.  Both of
these sets of programs basically would not allow me to do anything.  The
INSTALL file said to run initdb, but initdb expected a username
argument.  So I tried everything I could think of, but nothing would
work.  I found the pg_passwd program, and created a passwd file supposedly
for the system to use, but those names don't work either.

So, what kind of a superuser name is it looking for?  Is it looking for
userid?  or NT system user name?  or PGSQL passwd-file username?  or
what?  I'm frustrated with mysql because it's functionality is limited (no
UNION, no subselect), but I'm frustrated with PostgreSQL now, too, because
it won't install correctly.  And this is only after about a week's worth of
learning SQL syntax and "playing" with these programs.  Any thoughts?

Please send replies to my email address directly, since I'm not on the
official mailing list.

Thanks bunches.  :-)
- Joe

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: Chandra Sekhar . KDate: 2000-11-09 12:05:11