Speed of Types and Backups

From: Charles Tassell <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Speed of Types and Backups
Date: 1999-10-28 22:13:25
Lists: pgsql-general
I have two unrelated questions, and I figured I'd be lazy and ask here
instead of running tests myself. :)  If there is a FAQ that explains this,
I'd appreciate a pointer to it.

First question: Which types are faster for access: int or char, varchar()
or text?  Should I specify a particular type of indexing, or will Postgres
detect the best method?

Second question: If I *don't* use the -F option to cut down on fsync's, is
it safe to backup the database live, or should I still just backup a
pgdumpall?  Is there a better way to do it?

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: John HendersonDate: 1999-10-29 01:12:28