Re: [ADMIN] How to use pg_log ?

From: "Jacques B(dot) Dimanche" <jbd(at)sysads(dot)com>
To: "Stéphane FILLON" <fillons(at)offratel(dot)nc>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "pgsql-admin" <pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] How to use pg_log ?
Date: 1999-09-10 06:25:47
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

At 07:14 PM 9/9/99 +1100, Stéphane FILLON wrote:

>I would like to know our I can read the log file.
>Is it the file where I can detail all the transactions ?

Hmmm... I believe the pg_log is just for internal use of Postgres to track
the committed and uncommitted transactions. If you want to log your
transactions, the only way I can think of off hand is to put the debug
function on the backend. For instance, I might use something like the
following: (Using Unix in /etc/rc.d/rc.local)

su postgres -c "nohup /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -B 2048 -i -d 2 -D
/datadir >> /path/to logfile 2>&1 &"

The -d option is the one that turns on debugging so you can see the actual
transactions. However, it does get quite large on a frequently accessed
database. I would really only recommend it for debugging client
code. Though there most likely is a better way, as I only started using
Postgres and learning SQL, 6 hours ago.

Just for comments though, excellent Database, was able to make Postgres
function extensions within 30 minutes of tinkering with it. Kudos to all
the programmers. The code was extremely well documented and laid out.

Sincerely Yours,

Jacques Dimanche
VP of Research and Development
Tridel Technologies, Inc.