JDBC and Unicode problem

From: Zeljko Trogrlic <zeljko(at)technologist(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC and Unicode problem
Date: 2000-09-05 09:58:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I'm trying to store / retrieve data from UNICODE database, but without success.

I installet PostgreSQL 7.02 binaries for RedHat Linux on RH 6.2
I created database with UNICODE as charset (createdb -E UNICODE name)
I can establish JDBC connection and everything works fine when I use ASCII
characters.
When I use non-ASCII characters, I get all kind of stuff.

I tried to store data using
* setString
* setObject
* setBytes
* setUnicodeStream

without success.

My questions are:
* Are binaries configured for UNICODE support?
* How can I check are binaries configured for UNICODE support?
* Do I have to set somethinh in Java in order to get UNICODE working?
* Which method should I use to read UNICODE data?

I have to enter multilingual data so I can't switch to national character set.