Re: Postgresql usage clip.

From: John Steele <jsteele(at)writeme(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql usage clip.
Date: 2000-05-29 23:16:44
Lists: pgsql-general
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>> > We support WIn95/98 clients, not servers.
>>
>> I thought we did have a cygwin-based server port?  If not, there's
>> a heckuva lot of useless "PORTNAME=win" conditional compilation in
>> the backend.
>>
>> Mind you, I don't think any sane dbadmin would use Windoze as a
>> platform for a mission-critical application, regardless of database
>> engine choice.  So the cygwin port is pretty much a toy IMHO.
>> If MySQL wants to have the toy-application market segment, they're
>> welcome to it.
>
>We support servers on NT, but not on Win95/98.  Cygwin supports both,
>but the Win95/98 has missing features that we need.  People have asked
>about it, and they have said they were going to try Win95/98 and report
>back on the problems they had, but no one has.  I assume they got lots
>of "unimplemented" messages from Cygwin and gave up.

  IMO, having a 'toy' server during development on a win9x platform would be really nice.  Coming from a MySQL/PHP background, it sure is nice to take the laptop out on a nice day and be able to develop 'real' applications that are then moved to a real server platform.

  I just tried the latest NT port binaries, hoping that I could at least start up the server process.  Even an extremely limited server on this platform would be welcome.  Sometimes you don't get to choose your development OS :(

  I have Cygwin installed, but when I try to start postgres.exe I get the following error message:

FATAL 1:  SetPgUserName: no entry in host passwd file

  I also find no postmaster in the install.  So am I just wasting time?

Thanks,
  John

--
/* SteeleSoft Consulting  John Steele - Systems Analyst/Programmer
 *  We also walk dogs...  jsteele(at)writeme(dot)com