Proper use of Transactions...

From: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Proper use of Transactions...
Date: 1999-08-08 20:38:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Greetings,

If I write a transaction like this:

begin transaction;
.
commit transaction;

and an error occurs somewhere in the middle, do I have to issue a rollback
command or will PostgreSQL do that automatically on an error? The problem
I think I am having is that if some command between the begin and commit
statements causes an error, my program terminates, so I do not have an
opportunity to issue a rollback.

All this is compounded because I am using PHP3 as an Apache module to
access PostgreSQL and I am receiving the following error in my Apache log:

NOTICE: (transaction aborted): queries ignored until END

I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem. Any insight would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Matthew