IPC Memory problem with Postmaster on BSDi 4.x

From: Roberth Andersson <roberth(at)jump-gate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: IPC Memory problem with Postmaster on BSDi 4.x
Date: 1999-07-31 03:53:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have PostgreSQL 6.4.2 installed since before and it was pretty easy to
compile it except for a few minor things. But but today I planned to
upgrade to version 6.5.1. So I made a pg_dumpall and backed up the rest and
deleted my /usr/local/pgsql to install the new version there.

The compilation and all worked great, it recognised the system as BSDi 4
which is correct and no errors. After this I logged in as postgres user and
wrote "initdb", worked great, BUT when I wrote "postmaster -i" I got a big
problem which I have never got ever before and I don't know why. Here is
the error message from postmaster ->

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432001,
size=1063936, permission=600
FATAL 1: ShmemCreate: cannot create region

To me it sounds like it is using some kind of wrong argument with shmget,
but I don't know how to fix this. I hope someone can help me.

This is what I get when I write ipcs ->
Message Queues:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP

Shared Memory:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
m 196608 5432210 --rwa------ postgres user
m 196609 5432201 --rw------- postgres user
m 983042 5432207 --rw------- postgres user
m 1376259 5432010 --rwa------ postgres postgres
m 131076 5432001 --rw------- postgres user
m 786437 5432007 --rw------- postgres postgres

Semaphores:
T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP

If it's anything I need to do with IPC or PostgreSQL, please let me know
what and how, or maybe this is a bug ? I hope not, I love this database
engine and really wanna start using 6.5.1 asap.

Sincerely
Roberth Andersson

Roberth Andersson, Server Administrator @ Jump-Gate & Webworqs
Phone: 011-46-550-17864
Cellphone: 011-46-70-6422024
EMail: roberth(at)jump-gate(dot)com / roberth(at)webworqs(dot)com