OUTER JOINS in 6.4.2?? Work around??

From: Matthew Hagerty <matthew(at)venux(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OUTER JOINS in 6.4.2?? Work around??
Date: 1999-02-25 01:25:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

Greetings,

I know this is probably asked a thousand times, but I cannot find a
reference anywhere on the web site. If there is one, please point me there...

Is it possible to do LEFT and RIGHT OUTER JOINS? i.e.

SELECT * FROM foo LEFT OUTER JOIN bar ON foo.id=bar.id;

All I could find on the web site was that PostgreSQL supports a subset of
SQL92 and SQL3. Is there someplace that tells what that subset is?

Maybe I don't need the join if there is some other way... I'm trying to
work out a query to give me one row from the many side of a 1-to-many
relationship for each row in the one side; basically making a 1-to-1 by
ignoring extra rows in the many table. For instance, a table of customers
(the one table) have phone numbers (the many table). I want to display a
list of customers with a phone number, but only one number regardless of
how many phone numbers there are.

Thanks,
Matthew