Re: OS X

From: Andres Olarte <olarte(dot)andres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OS X
Date: 2005-04-20 22:45:43
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 4/19/05, Florian G. Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:
> Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
> > Hi,
> > wonderful to see a working pgAdmin on OS X. Couple of points, though, to
> > consider in further development: (I am not sure, how easily one can
> > modify the user interface on one platform, but) the buttons in dialogs
> > seem to be in wrong order (OK, the default, should be the rightmost
> > button), and the current location for quit command is in the application
> > menu, not in the "File" menu (now, when you press cmd-q, the wrong menu
> > is highlighted).
> Hi
>
> .) The "Quit" Command: I believe that wxMac moves this entry
> to the Application-Menu - wxMac has a few such
> automagically-adapt-to-mac-standards features ;-)
> I guess that it's wxMac's fault to highlight the wrong menu -
> so we can't do much about it. If you are subscribe
> to wx-dev, please ask the people there about this - if not, I'll
> check if it's really wx that moves the menu-entry, and file a bug report ;-)
>
> .) The Button Positions: I'll have to check if wx provides
> some mechanisms for that too. If not, I believe it'll stay
> as it is now, since cluttering the code with plattform-specific
> details like this one doesn't seems to be an option...
>
> Anyway, thanks for your comments, and please report
> any further problems/window-isms you find in pgadmin.
> Any reports of osx success-stories and problems are much appreciated,
> since this is all quite new, and there are probably still bugs lurking ;-)
>
> greetings, Florian Pflug

Regarding the Quit option, there are two quit options (at least in my
build). One in the File menu (this one has the Apple-Q shortcut) and
the other on the Application menu. From the little I've read about Mac
programming, the Application menu's Quit option comes by default on
all application, you don't even have to program it. I'm guessing that
should the File->Quit option be removed, we'd be left just with the
quit option in the Application menu (and I think that's the "correct"
Apple way to do it) including the Apple-Q shortcut. Some thing else
regarding the Quit command. If you hit Apple-Q on for example an SQL
Query window, only that window closes. Apple-Q should completely quit
the application and all windows of that application. But this is
probably too Apple specific to be implemented easily. Anyway, that's
just a couple of UI comments I have, and I have pretty much zero Apple
UI knowledge. Besides that, it works GREAT !! no a single problem so
far. Good Work