Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown
Date: 2010-01-21 02:42:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> If it's "standby", it's a previously-existing behavior that a "smart"
>> shutdown doesn't work immediately during recovery. After a recovery
>> has been completed, it would work. Of course, I agree that such a
>> behavior should be documented.
>
> Well, as long as streaming rep is running, you can't do a smart shutdown
> ... smart shutdown seems to treat the walreciever as a client
> connection.

Even if SR is not running, as long as the startup process is running,
we can't do a smart shutdown. It's not peculiar to SR.

> At the very least, this should be in the documentation.

Agreed. Something like "smart shutdown is not allowed during recovery"
should be in the following section.
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/server-shutdown.html

Regards,

--