Re: Streaming Replication on win32

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming Replication on win32
Date: 2010-01-18 09:30:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:22 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> This could be because the win32 socket emulation layer simply wasn't
>> designed to deal with non-blocking sockets. Specifically, it actually
>> *always* sets the socket to non-blocking mode, and then uses that to
>> properly emulate how sockets work under unix.
>
> I presume the win32 emulation layer can be taught about non-blocking
> sockets? Or maybe pq_getbyte_if_available() can be implemented using
> some other simpler method on Windows.

How about checking the socket by using select/poll before calling
pq_getbyte_if_available()? This would prevent pgwin32_recv() from
being blocked because a message is guaranteed to have already arrived.
When the renegotiation happens, SSL_read (instead of pqwin32_recv())
is called with non-blocking socket, so it's not blocked.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center