Re: [Fwd: partial replication ...]

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: partial replication ...]
Date: 2009-11-24 04:23:41
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
Hi Hans,

> btw; response and comments of any kind are welcome.

Any improvements for Streaming Replication are welcome.
So, I agree with your idea in general, and have some comments.

There seem to be many TODO items on your idea. Since it's
almost impossible to cope with all at the same time, I think
that you should break down your idea to some self-contained
parts.

For example,

- WAL sending/receiving hook for WAL filtering.
  This feature is also useful for compression of WAL data
  being shipped.

- Recovery per database-object (e.g., database, table...).
  This feature is also useful for partial recovery when one
  part of a database is damaged.

- Automatic online-backup from the primary to the standby.
  This is already pointed by Heikki.
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-07/msg00940.php

Let's go forward in stages.

Regards,