Revised signal multiplexer patch

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Revised signal multiplexer patch
Date: 2009-07-29 10:22:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I revised the patch according to the suggestion.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Fujii Masao<masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I think you're making things more complicated when they should be
>> getting simpler.
>>
>> It strikes me that the current API of "pass the BackendId if known or
>> InvalidBackendId if not" still works for processes without a BackendId,
>> as long as you can tolerate a bit of extra search overhead for them.
>> (You could reduce the search overhead by searching the array back to
>> front.)  So a new process index may be overkill.
>
> Yeah, this is very simple. I'll change the patch according to your suggestion.

Done.

>>> Umm... the patch should cover a notify interrupt which currently uses
>>> SIGUSR2?
>>
>> Getting rid of the separate SIGUSR2 handler would definitely be a good
>> proof of concept that the mechanism works for more than one use.
>
> OK. I'll change the patch as above.

Done.

But there is one issue; the extra search is always required to send a notify
interrupt. This is because pg_listener doesn't have a backend ID and we
cannot pass it to SendProcSignal. In order to solve this issue, we should
newly add backend ID field into pg_listener?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
signal_multiplexer_0729.patch application/octet-stream 30.9 KB