Re: Synch Rep: direct transfer of WAL file from the primary to the standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synch Rep: direct transfer of WAL file from the primary to the standby
Date: 2009-07-03 04:32:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Fujii Masao<masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> The attached latest patch provides this capability. You can easily set up the
>> synch rep according to the following procedure.
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NTT%27s_Development_Projects#How_to_set_up_Synch_Rep
>
> This patch no longer applies cleanly.  Can you rebase and resubmit it
> for the upcoming CommitFest?  It might also be good to go through and
> clean up the various places where you have trailing whitespace and/or
> spaces preceding tabs.

Sure. I'll resubmit the patch after fixing some bugs and finishing
the documents.

> Given that this is a substantial patch, I have a couple of questions
> about strategy.  First, I am wondering whether this patch should be
> reviewed (and committed) as a whole, or whether there are distinct
> chunks of it that should be reviewed and committed separately -
> particularly the signal handling piece, which AIUI is independently
> useful.  I note that it seems to be included in the tarball as a
> separate patch file, which is very useful.

I think that the latter strategy makes more sense. At least, the signal
handling piece and non-blocking pqcomm (communication between
a frontend and a backend) can be reviewed independently of synch rep
itself.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao