Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode
Date: 2009-06-26 01:56:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi,

Thank you for addressing the problem!

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 7:14 AM, Heikki
Linnakangas<heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> We certainly update it an order of magnitude more often than before, but
> I don't think that's an issue. We're talking about archive recovery
> here. It's not like in normal operation where a corrupt pg_control file
> means that you lose your data. It will stop the server from starting up,
> but there's many other files that can be corrupt in a way that causes
> recovery to fail or stop too early.

Frequent updating of pg_control causes the significant performance
degradation of archive recovery. I think that this is an issue to be fixed.
The warm-standby users (including me) care about the performance
of the standby server, because that affects the failover time, for example.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center