Re: Synch Replication: Synchronization of files between Primary & Standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Kolb, Harald (NSN - DE/Munich)" <harald(dot)kolb(at)nsn(dot)com>, "Czichy, Thoralf (NSN - FI/Helsinki)" <thoralf(dot)czichy(at)nsn(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Synch Replication: Synchronization of files between Primary & Standby
Date: 2009-04-23 14:29:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:21 PM, K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
<niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com> wrote:
> Starting a new thread related to synchronization of the data files, WAL
> etc.. between Primary and standby servers in Synchronous replication
> patch.
>
> Use case: Whenever the primary and standby are out of sync due to
> network problems.
>
> Existing handling is to prepare the standby by
> 1) Deleting the $PGDATA on standby
> 2) Make a fresh base backup of the primary and load this data to the
> standby
> 3) Setup the necessary configurations (ex. recovery) and start the
> standby server
>
> In the earlier discussions, please check the link (point 2 related to
> direct connection between primary and standby), i think we still need to
> work to conclude on what will be done.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-02/msg01160.php

I'm now implementing the capability to transfer a file related to xlog
(i.e. xlog segment file, backup history file and timeline history file).
This is used when there are missing files in the standby, and they
are automatically copied from the primary. As usability aspect, you
don't need to configure warm-standby for Synch Rep any longer
before starting the standby.

I'll show the detailed design of it before very long.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center