Re: New trigger option of pg_standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New trigger option of pg_standby
Date: 2009-04-01 02:01:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

>> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
>>
>> > -m smart|fast|immediate :-)
>>
>> +1 for using a "-m something" type of syntax instead of having to try to
>> pick single-letter switches that are mnemonic for the different cases.
>> But -1 to those particular mode names --- I think it will invite
>> confusion with pg_ctl's behavior.
>
> The choice is between
>
> * one parameter with the option being given as text within trigger file
>
> * two parameters naming different types of trigger file
>
> I don't mind which, as long as it is one of those two, unless there is a
> third way to specify things so that user has control at failover time. A
> single -m option would hardcode that decision ahead of time, which is
> undesirable behaviour, hence the additional complexity being discussed.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'd like to choose the former because it's more flexible when new
trigger action is added to pg_standby in the future. And, as Gurjeet
says, it's more friendly to do smart failover (end recovery after all
the available WAL are applied) when an empty trigger file exists.
I'll change the patch as above. Comments?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center