Re: Hot standby, recovery infra

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby, recovery infra
Date: 2009-02-26 17:19:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:47 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> That whole area was something I was leaving until last, since immediate
> shutdown doesn't work either, even in HEAD. (Fujii-san and I discussed
> this before Christmas, briefly).

This problem remains in current HEAD. I mean, immediate shutdown
may be unable to kill the startup process because system() which
executes restore_command ignores SIGQUIT while waiting.
When I tried immediate shutdown during recovery, only the startup
process survived. This is undesirable behavior, I think.

The following code should be added into RestoreArchivedFile()?

----
if (WTERMSIG(rc) == SIGQUIT)
       exit(2);
----