Re: Synch Replication - Synch rep 0114

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Patil, Smita (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <smita(dot)patil(at)nsn(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "K, Niranjan (NSN - IN/Bangalore)" <niranjan(dot)k(at)nsn(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Synch Replication - Synch rep 0114
Date: 2009-01-30 12:17:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Patil, Smita (NSN - IN/Bangalore)
<smita(dot)patil(at)nsn(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been testing in recent, the Synch Replication(Synch rep 0114 (Jan 14,
> 2009) ) on PostgreSQL version 8.4 (
> postgresql-8.4devel_20081229.tar.bz2)

Thanks for your testing and report!

I'm afraid that the base HEAD version
(postgresql-8.4devel_20081229.tar.bz2) is old,
which might have caused the following error. So, please try to apply
synch-rep v0128
patch to the latest HEAD, and test it.

If you can use cvs, the following document might be helpful for you to
get the latest HEAD.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/anoncvs.html

> As per wiki, I am able to bring up the walsender and the walreceiver process
> in a single server as well when primary and seconday are setup on different
> nodes(making necessary changes to the test script)

What kind of change was required?

> Then I am able to see the walsender and walreceiver process are in progress.

Good!

> Then I try to insert some records into the table created (within the script)
> as below:
> ./psql
> psql (8.4devel)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=# insert into temp values(5,'e');

Please let me know the DDL of creating "temp" table. I'll test it also on
my machine.

> After this, I see both walsender and walreceiver are down and writer process
> is still running.
> Is this because, there is no provision of replication between primary and
> secondary?

Yes, it's because unexpected error terminated replication (ie. walsender
and walreceiver). But, such termination of replication doesn't affect the
primary's normal processing, so walwriter was still running on the primary.

> Or is it because write transactions are not supported?

Write transactions are also supported like original postgres.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center