Re: Query about SQL in PostgreSQL

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: Muhammad Nadeem Ashraf <nadeem_engg(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query about SQL in PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-04-19 10:16:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Apr 19, 2005, at 5:48 AM, Muhammad Nadeem Ashraf wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new user of PostGreSQL 8.0.1. While using it i faced following
> issue. As SQL is Case insensetive Language So the Uper or Lower cases
> are not significant. But while using the database there is problem.
> If i Create new Table with name (tblstudent) then upon SQL queries it
> is fine to use Select * from tblstudent. However i face probel if i
> give the name of table in Capital letters i.e. if the name is
> (tblStudent) then upon using Select * from tblStudent, following error
> is appeard:
> ERROR:  relation "tblst" does not exist
>
> And if i use the query Select * from "tblStudent" then it works fine.

SQL is case insensitive. However, identifiers (table names, column
names, index names, etc.) are case sensitive in Postgresql. So, your
operational understanding of how things work seems to be correct. I
tend to use all lower-case, just because it saves me some thought, but
I know some folks like to use a mix of upper and lower case so that
they can be used in a web application, for example. If you do use
mixed or upper case, you do have to quote them.

If you still have a problem, could you be more specific about what it
is?

Sean