Vacuum Full

From: Rafael Domiciano <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Vacuum Full
Date: 2009-03-31 16:04:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello People,

I have some doubts about Vacuum Full. There We go:
1) The Only thing that *Vacuum Full* (Only Full, not Analyze) is to clean
"dead space" on the disc, and reorganize the relation at the physical level?
If it's true, so doing this may speed up *select's*, while the Postgres will
going to do less hit in the disc. I'm right?

2) Doing only *Vacuum Analyze* I have a enlargement of the parameter *
max_fsm_pages*. Does it have any impact in the operation?
Should I increment the value in the conf to be so large than the Vacuum
Verbose shows me?

3) There are differences in performace of Vacuum Full between versions 8.1.4
and 8.3.7?
As soon as possible we are going to migrate the Postgres to 8.3.7, just
waiting the finish of the tests of the software in the new version.

4) The right way to run Vacuum and Reindex is: Vacuum and Reindex or Reindex
and Vacuum?
Running Vacuum I have a Index Bloat, right?! So I have to run Reindex afet
Vacuum?!
If true I'll change the script to make first Vacuum and then Reindex.

5) Does have any way to see how much is left to finish vacuum?
Example:
select * from vacuum_finish;
Relation Total Bytes Total Bytes Done Total Bytes Remaining
Table01 1000 600 400

Or Something like that!

Thnks for responses,

Rafael Domiciano