Re: autovacuum questions

From: "Rafael Domiciano" <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum questions
Date: 2008-10-31 15:32:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello there,

Yes, the autovacuum is set on by default on the PG 8.3.
The vacuum is not full, to run a full vacuum you need to set a cron job;
better to run at the night.
I don't set autovacuum on the production databases, only in the Slony's
slave machines and in the developmente machine.
For autovacuum settings you need to set and see if it's ok for you.
to see if the vacuum is running you can use the command "ps axf | grep
postgres" on the linux server. Sometimes autovacuum is so fast that you even
notice him.

I hope that I helped

Best Regards,

Rafael Domiciano