How to recognize trigger-inserted rows?

From: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)qtm(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to recognize trigger-inserted rows?
Date: 2004-10-26 16:27:43
Lists: pgsql-sql
I have a table with an INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statement trigger. The
trigger's action is to insert "jobs" into a queue noting that the table
has changed.

A number of other tables have FK relationships with this table, and they
have their own statement triggers that fire on DELETE.

When I delete a number of rows from the first table, the cascading
deletes into the other tables generate a rather large number of
trigger-fires, so I end up with way too many rows in the queue-table.

What I would like to do is, within the transaction doing the top-level
delete, examine the queue-table for duplicate rows and remove those,
since they are extraneous.

Ideally I would look for rows that have the same transaction ID, but I'm
having trouble determining what the current ID is. I'm using Pg 7.4.

--
(Posted from an account used as a SPAM dump. If you really want to get
in touch with me, dump the 'jboes' and substitute 'mur'.)

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Jeff BoesDate: 2004-10-26 17:00:01
Previous:From: Adrian MaierDate: 2004-10-26 06:13:54
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Question on the 8.0Beta Version