Re: Indexing a Boolean or Null column?

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "D(dot) Dante Lorenso" <dante(at)lorenso(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexing a Boolean or Null column?
Date: 2004-01-04 07:22:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Ok, so ...evenly distributed data on small set of values forces
> sequential scan since that's faster. I expected that based on
> what I've read so far.

Actually, it's more a case of that fetching an item via and index is
considered, say, four times slower than fetching something off a
sequential scan (sort of). Hence, if you are selecting more than 25% of
the table, then a sequential scan will be faster, even though it has to
process more rows.

Chris