Syntax error at or near "psql"

From: "ANTONIETTI Nicolo' (Consultant) (FIAT POWERTRAIN TECHNOLOGIES)" <nicolo(dot)antonietti(at)consultant(dot)fiatpowertrain(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-in-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-in-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Syntax error at or near "psql"
Date: 2012-07-11 10:17:25
Lists: pgsql-in-general

Hello everybody.

I have installed PostgreSQL 9.1 on my Windows 7 laptop.
Together with the software came the SQL shell (psql).
I log into the shell as an administrator using the following details:

- Server: localhost

- Database: postgres

- Port: 5432

- Username: postgres

- Password:

I get the following warning message: console codepages <850> are different from Windows codepages <1252>;
8-bit characters may not work properly.

If I type the command 'psql -l;' I get the following error message:
ERROR: syntax error at or near "psql"
LINE 1: psql-l;
^

The same error is likely to show up if I log into a different database (I created with pgAdmin)
As a different user (always administrator).

How can I fix it?

Thank you very much.
Nicolò Antonietti