Compiling VC with pq.dll?

From: Shachar Shemesh <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Compiling VC with pq.dll?
Date: 2003-12-30 14:31:07
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi all,

Is there a way to compile a Visual Studio program with PQ.DLL? I fully
realize that the resulting file will require cygwin in order to run.

I'm trying to build an oledb driver for PGSql. The current project to do
that on the borg has no files released, and no response from the
developers (are they here, BTW?). I prefer to have that project use the
PQ.DLL file, instead of reimplementing the protocol myself (the way the
odbc driver seems to have done). I fully realize that this means that
installing the resulting file will require cygwin on the machine.

However, in order to use a DLL in Windows, one needs a .lib file that
has the DLL's exports. Such a file is not available in the standard
Postgresql Cygwin installation.

Another problem is that the DLL seems to be provided by the postgresql
package. This means that I cannot later install the oledb driver without
also installing postgresql, even if it only needs to connect to a remote
machine.

Am I missing something awfully basic here? If not, how do I generate the
.lib file necessary for linking with pq.dll?

Many thanks,
Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh