Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?

From: Tony <tony(at)unihost(dot)net>
To: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date: 2003-12-29 20:15:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I already had in the first post I replied to, but at the risk of
sounding redundant, I'll say it again.

them (still don't) why do you need a function to provide details of a
query when a more complicated query gives the same data? Are they
designed for people who don't like to type long queries?

Stored Procedures: Sounds good in principle, but in what ways can I
benefit most (I understand this now) at the time of moving to PG, I
couldn't see the difference between writing my code in an a Stored Proc
or an API.

Triggers: make perfect sense now, but didn't used to when I didn't know
what they were.

This isn't definitive list but more of a flavour of the obstacles I hit
when I first met PG. If I hadn't persevered (and many may not) I'd have
ended up with a PG server full of DBs designed and built as if they were
on a MySQL server.

Yes, the topics are covered fleetingly in the tutorial, but do such
important topics only warrant 3 pages of text between the lot of them?
It's great that the subjects are present, but it seems to be in more of
a kind of "Whilst We're on the Subject of Databases" kind of passing
comment.

Maybe I'm asking for the Moon on a Stick, but it didn't feel like I was :)

T.