Re: UserLinux with MySQL

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UserLinux with MySQL
Date: 2003-12-21 20:29:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
>Well Ximian is Novell nowadays and they have a much higher marketing
>budget than Trolltech I'd guess. Sometimes i wonder if I'd better switch
>to windowmaker. :-)

The real benefit to Gnome/GTK and the reason I think they will win over
KDE/QT (I actually like KDE better)
is that Gnome/GTK does not require a license fee to create a closed
source application.

I also believe that is why Sun and HP both have pushed to make it their
default desktop for their
Unixes. Basically they get the best of both worlds. They get a supported
platform that they only need
to "tweak" to make it work for them, plus they can build a ton of closed
source applications
without paying a license fee to anyone...

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org