Re: Creating functions with pgAdmin III

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Michael Shapiro <mshapiro(at)ncsa(dot)uiuc(dot)edu>, "[pgADMIN]" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Creating functions with pgAdmin III
Date: 2003-12-08 10:18:58
Lists: pgadmin-support

Michael Shapiro wrote:

>>Actually it isn't random, but the sort order might not be what you
>>expect. It looks like (regard as meta code)
>>ORDER BY isdomain, isArray, typname
>>

>This doens't mean anything to me. What I am after is to not have to
>scroll up and down searching for the type. If there is no order by clause
>that will suffice,

There *is* an ordering clause, look at that pseudo code above.

>then you could add code in PgAdmin itself to do
>the ordering. What I think would be a good order is
> builtin types first
> user defined types next
> schema table types next (ordered by schema)
>alphabetic within each group. Does that make sense?

Michael,

please don't send private mail. Everything should be discussed publicly;
we're Open Source. Besides, private mail screws up my inbox processing;
your answers might well go unnoticed to spam.

As I said we'll be refactoring types handling. You might find find the
current ordering not helpful, others might do so (at least I like
domains first, because I use domains to abstract from real database
types, increasing portability)

Regards,
Andreas