Re: 7.4 and Pygresql

From: Gerhard Häring <lists(at)ghaering(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: darcy(at)PyGreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 and Pygresql
Date: 2003-12-04 13:46:52
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> On December 4, 2003 03:12 am, Gerhard Häring wrote:
>>Also, PyGreSQL and PoPy (yet another Python adapter for PostgreSQL which
>>seemed pretty badly supported to me) announced a merge of their projects a
>>few months ago on DB-SIG (the Python database list). My personal opinion is
>>that there's nothing worth keeping from the PyGreSQL codebase, and if you
>>want a supported PostgreSQL adapter, you should really switch to pyPgSQL or
>>psycopg.
>
> You know, I expect that sort of FUD from commercial enterprises that have
> something to gain by switching people to their product.

I've recommended pyPgSQL *or* psycopg, because I honestly believe that they're
better options for developers (a lot more complete, and actively developed, and
bug reports/patches don't get lost). So it's not true that I only tried to promote
the project I'm involved in.

> I am especially disapointed to see this from you, Gerhard, after the
> contributions that you have made to PygreSQL in the past.

Yes, thanks for folding them in. I had one relevation wrt. PyGreSQL once, though,
which left a very bad taste. This was that fetchmany()/fetchone() was broken, and
was for more than one year, there apparently was a patch floating around on the
PyGreSQL list, but got lost. So when the issue came up again on pgsql-bugs, I
hunted down the bug, produced a patch and lobbied for it going in in 7.1.3 (?),
which was a task of its own.

> PyGreSQL is far from dead. There will soon be a new web site and we will be
> putting out a new version soon.

Good luck :-)

> Meanwhile, the CVS repository is publicly available and the current version
> works quite well with the current version of PostgreSQL. Don't write us off
> just yet.

Where's the new stuff?

Both the CVS at GBorg and the one at druid.net contain the PyGreSQL code I've seen
before. Nothing there looks like code from PoPy was already merged in. Is the new
codebase publicly available, yet?

It's mostly gut feeling that I don't like the current PyGreSQL implementation, but
if you want, I can try to come up with constructive criticism. This might take a
few days, though.

Let's try not to make this into a personal matter, I have nothing against you
D'Arcy and appreciate the work you've put into makeing PostgreSQL available to
Python users.

-- Gerhard