Re: pgAdmin III enhancement

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Stephane DROUARD <stephane(dot)drouard(at)st(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III enhancement
Date: 2003-11-28 18:21:29
Lists: pgadmin-support
Stephane DROUARD wrote:

>When you open the query tool, it displays the current object script (in fact the bottom right window content). Closing the tool does not refresh the main interface, I understand this is too difficult to analyse the requests and refresh the concerned objects.
>
>However, this causes a problem with the current object. Imagine you open the query tool, you modify the current object then close the tool. The object script (bottom right window) is not refreshed: OK. Now, if you re-open the query tool, it will take the content of the bottom right window, so the old script. If you don't pay attention to that (imagine a big function, this was my case), you modify the script but from the previous version.
>Enhancement: when you open the query tool, it would be helpful to refresh the current object script.

If the query tool's feature to get the currently selected object's
script, you can disable this in options. The query tool can't know what
you're doing, because it's meant for arbitrary queries. It's completely
inacceptable to issue a complete refresh of the main window after each
execute, which is what you're requesting in consequence. But you can do
this yourself (F5 key on the object: table, schema, or even database).

When using the property dialogs, which I'd recommend for minor changes,
pgadmin knows what you're doing, and will refresh the tree after the
change is successfully stored.

Regards,
Andreas