Re: Newbie to pgadmin

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Miguel González Castaños <mgc(at)tid(dot)es>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbie to pgadmin
Date: 2003-11-28 16:18:21
Lists: pgadmin-support

Miguel González Castaños wrote:

>Dear all,
>
> I am a newbie using PgAdmin, I got back to work with PostgreSQL, the
>last time I used PostgreSQL for a project PostgreSQL was around version
>7.1.x something (It was two years ago...).
>
> Now I am using version 7.3.4 and my colleagues asked for a nice-easy
>gui admin tool under windows 2000 for designing databases and inserting
>data on them.
>
> I searched on the postgresql web site, and I found pgadmin III. It
>seems like it is what We need, but having a quick look into it, we have
>seen:
>
>[+] As In the Introduction and Concepts book from Bruce Monjiam
>suggests, We use serial number instead of OIDs. If OIDs are not used in
>the tables, then There is no way to add rows in the edit grid...At least
>I havent found the way...

You're probably missing a primary key on that table.

>[+] There is any case ( I have been able to reproduce it again) where
>pgadmin III required to use public."test" name for a table instead of
>the name test. I still do not know why, as I have said, I havent been
>able to reproduce it again

Unknown... please specify if you locate a problem.

>[+] For that reason Someone suggested to use pgaccess, which seems that
>has a way of doing so. This tool seems to be much easier, but also more
>limited that pgadmin III, though. So in the end, I have suggested to use
>PgAdmin III for designing the database and PgAccess for inserting the
>data. I dont know if It would be easy or not to have a look into the
>pgaccess code and share some source code...(although are not coded in
>the same computer language ?)

You certainly may use different tools if you like, but you should be
able to enter all data using the grid if oid or pk is present.

>[+] Apart of that I see in the ToDo list that the backup/restore option
>will appear soon...Is that related with the export data dialog, isnt it?

No, export is a user friendly export format, backup/restore is for admin
purposes (gui for pg_dump/pg_restore)

>[+] I am a native Spanish speaker (quite obvious from my mistakes
>writing English), if any help is needed (even coding something) I could
>give a hand...Anyway I would like to comment that in the Sequences, the
>word chosen is "Sequencias" and in Spanish is "Secuencias"...just a
>small typo...

Fixed,
You're invited to review *all* spanish translations, just as any other
language should be reviewed by a person different from the original
translator. You just don't see your own typos...

Regards,
Andreas